abs verification service
Dear ORTOVOX customer,
The ABS avalanche airbag system is a piece of emergency equipment that in certain conditions can prevent a total burial. As with any safety product, continual check-ups are necessary to ensure using the device is problem-free. We honor a two-year ORTOVOX factory warranty for all ORTOVOX avalanche airbag backpacks and activation units (M.A.S.S. unit: Modular Airbag Safety System).
WHEN IS THE CHECK-UP SERVICE NECESSARY?
We recommend a general service after every three seasons.
We ask that you use the check-up service in the summer so that your ORTOVOX avalanche airbag backpack is ready for use on your first tour.
It is important for us to provide a good and quick service. For this reason, we would like to provide you with some information about the service process for our avalanche airbag backpacks. This service information applies exclusively to M.A.S.S. units (see image for ABS units). If you require service information for your backpack, you can find all important information via the following link.
- You can send your M.A.S.S. unit exclusively via your ORTOVOX dealer for the check-up service or repair.
- As long as the backpack is not damaged, you need ONLY send us the M.A.S.S. unit. This means you can keep using your backpack in the meantime. You will find details on how to remove the unit from your backpack in the operating instructions.
- We ask you to understand that we cannot offer you a replacement or hire product for the duration of the repair/check-up. Your M.A.S.S. unit is registered with a serial number, and we want to ensure that you receive exactly the same product after repair/check-up.
TIMEFRAME FOR SERVICE
So that we can properly repair your M.A.S.S. unit and guarantee it is 100 % fit for purpose, we require more time than usual.
We estimate a timeframe for service of 4-6 WEEKS
We ask for your understanding.
In order to make a claim under warranty, a copy of the sales invoice including sales date must be included.
WHY DO I HAVE TO SEND MY M.A.S.S. UNIT FOR CHECK-UP?
- Check-up after avalanche deployment
- Each avalanche deployment can push the material to its limit. Sometimes damage is not visible. We therefore recommend you have your ORTOVOX ABS backpack and the empty activation unit checked as a precautionary measure.
- The storage advice in the operating instructions was not heeded.
- Check-up service costs: €75 including sales tax plus shipping costs (may vary depending on dealer location)
WHY DO I HAVE TO SEND MY M.A.S.S. UNIT FOR REPAIR?
- The M.A.S.S. unit was activated without a screwed-on cartridge.
- There is other damage to the M.A.S.S. unit.
The ABS avalanche airbag system is largely maintenance-free. You should however regularly check the following points:
- Unfold both airbags at least once a year. We also recommend performing a test activation once a year, preferably at the start of the season. In safe terrain you can realistically try out the activation process.
- Inspect the release valve in the black fill and release unit. Press the red button several times. It should spring back completely
- Ensure the puncture unit into which the cartridge is screwed is clean..
- The activation handle should always easily enter the coupler. A drop of ABS oil should be added to the coupler occasionally if removing the handle is problematic. A sample tube of ABS oil was included with your backpack and can be reordered from ABS.
- Make sure you’re satisfied that the filled cartridge is tightly screwed-in each time you use the ABS avalanche airbag.